Thursday, April 29, 2010

Summer stripes

I am so in love with these tops from Anthropologie. I bought one like it last fall and have seen them all over again this spring. When I realized they used elastic thread to create the gathered look, I was off to my machine to recreate one. I had an extra-small shirt in my closet just waiting for a refashion. I wish I had made it toddler-size before I had done the stitching around the neck. That made it kinda hard to set the sleeves, so they ended up with a lot of gathering. I left the original neck intact and just took the sides in, set the sleeves and hemmed with the serger leaving the edge exposed. The stitching around the neck is done with elastic thread in the bobbin and regular in the top, in a tiny 'stippling' pattern. I will be using this technique again for sure!

1 comment:

  1. love love LOVE this shirt! your daughter is too cute! and too lucky to have such a talented mom! :-)

    ReplyDelete